To All Existing & Interested Tow Companies:
On this webpage you will find the Agreement, Application, Check List, Zone Maps/Descriptions, and Instructions for Unified Police Department’s (UPD) 2021-2022 Rotation Year. UPD will start accepting completed Tow Packets which include the Agreement, Application and all documents on the Check List, at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, May 10, 2021, and are due no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 4, 2021. Please read all documentation carefully and note that there have been some changes made.
- Most Documents, photos and employee information can be added directly within the link provided under the "Towing Information" The Original Signed Agreement, BCI and UDOT Driver Certification must be submitted in person to UPD. All documents must be approved before the company is placed on rotation.
- Email is our main method of communication, between UPD and Towing Companies. Towing Companies have the ability to do all correspondence (appeals, complaints, questions and responses) by Email (UPDTOW@updsl.org) or US mail.
- Sex Offender Registry - Shall not be a Registered Sex Offender in the state of Utah or any other state. You will need to notify the UPD Towing Coordinator within ten (10) business days, in writing, if at any time during the towing rotation year you are placed on that list.
- Added verbiage to Application Checklist – location of posting of rates
- If a Company is sold during the Towing Rotation year, the owner is responsible for notifying UPD at the time of sale. The Company will then be terminated from the UPD rotation. The Agreement is non-transferable. The new owner will be able to apply for the following rotation year.
- Upon reactivation from suspension, if the date falls on a Saturday the company will be reactivated on the day prior, Friday. If the date falls on a Sunday the company will be reactivated on the following day, Monday.
FBI Background Checks
FBI Background checks are no longer required as part of the packet unless a situation arises. BCI and a valid UDOT Driver Certification are still required and will now be accepted up to Forty-Five (45) calendar days instead of (30) days prior to June 4, 2021 from date pulled by BCI or the UDOT Driver Certification. UPD reserves the right to request an FBI Background Check and/or Out of State Criminal Background Check at any time. If an FBI or Out of State criminal Background is requested, temporary approvals can be made by the Towing Coordinator and will be revoked if the subject’s record does not meet the criteria outlined in the Agreement.
Approval & Denial Letters
Approval and/or Denial Letters for yards, trucks, drivers and office staff will be sent to your company no later than Wednesday, June 30, 2021.
Driver Identification Cards
Drivers will not be fully approved to participate in UPD’s Rotation until they have obtained their 2021-2022 UPD identification card.
To obtain UPD Identification ID Cards for approved drivers, each driver will need to respond to UPD’s Technical Services Division and pay the $10.00 ID Card fee. Once fee is paid and any previous badges are received the Approval Letter and current ID card will be available for pick up. If you have lost, misplaced or had stolen your current badge, you must submit two (2) separate company letterheads, one signed by the owner and another signed by the operator, stating what happened to the badge.
Tow Truck Decals
Decals for approved Tow Trucks can be obtained in UPD’s Technical Services Division. Removal of previous years window decal is required. Any Company Employee may respond to obtain the decals and must bring the Approval Letter with them. Decals will not be mailed out.
For any questions, please contact UPD’s Towing Coordinators.