The Unified Police Department Special Operations Division is staffed with 260 regular and substitute crossing guards for 69 area schools in Canyons, Jordan, and Granite School Districts. These schools are located within the unincorporated / township areas of Salt Lake County, as well as in Herriman City, Holladay City, Midvale City, Riverton City, and Taylorsville City through a contract agreement with the UPD.
These dedicated men and women brave the various extreme weather conditions to ensure the safety of the children as they cross hazardous roadways going to and from school. The Unified Police Department appreciates these hard-working crossing guards, and we are committed to keeping our children safe.
- Be at least age 21 years old.
- Proof of citizenship or current legal documentation to work in the United States.
- Have a valid Utah driver's license.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- No disqualifying convictions, or offense involving dishonesty, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence, the unlawful use, sale or possession of a controlled substance, or any offenses involving children.
- Not have been convicted of a D.U.I. within the previous two years beginning with the date of conviction to the date of application.
- No Marijuana use in the last 2 years or other drug use in the last 5 years.
- Have transportation availale to get to crossing assignments.
- Available by phone for assignments and ability to be punctual for crossing shifts.
- Able to attend training as needed outside of school crossing assignments.
- Available during assigned school times.
- Basic computer knowledge and ability to complete online timecard.
- Willing to work in all types of weather.
- Ability to stand for periods of time from 45 minutes to one hour.
- Ability to move about an intersection to and from the middle of the street as necessary.
- Ability to reach and lock/unlock padlocks to activate school crossing lights.
- Good vision, visual depth perception, and hearing.
- Ability to discern environmental conditions for risks for children, i.e. traffic or construction.
- Ability to discern the presence of danger to children in the area of the crosswalk, and be able to react quickly to remove them to safety.
- Ability to communicate safety instructions to students.
- Ability to place and remove traffic cones.
- Ability to lift, hold and carry a traffic stop sign paddle.
- Ability to discern when to create safety breaks in traffic patterns.
- Maintain a sense of responsibility for the safety of students.
- Communicate developing safety hazards to supervisor.
- This position is a very important and critical process for children to safely get to and from school. If any of the above listed requirements are not met it can put the children at risk to danger.
Interested applicants must send an application to:
Crossing Guard Coordinator Don Jensen
Unified Police Department
Special Operations Division
3510 South 700 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84119
Crossing Guard Application