The mission of the Salt Lake Area Gang Project, also known as Metro Gang Unit, is to identify, reduce, and prevent criminal gang activity through public education and proactive enforcement in Salt Lake County and the surrounding areas. When appropriate, provide intelligence information and investigative assistance to outside law enforcement agencies.
The Salt Lake Area Gang Project is administered by a Governing Board that is made up of police chiefs and administrative personnel from the agencies that participate in the Project including:
South Salt Lake Police Department
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
- Department of Corrections
- Adult Probation and Parole
- Department of Public Safety
- Granite School District Police Department
- Juvenile Justice Services
- Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office
- Unified Police Department
- Saratoga Springs - Bluffdale Police Department
- United States Attorney's Office
- United States Marshals Service
Community Advisory Board
The Community Advisory Board is comprised of community members and leaders from the local school districts, courts, diversion programs, faith based groups, and non-profit agencies that are committed to provide gang prevention and education to our youth. The Board serves as a link between the Governing Board and the community. This board is responsible for providing community input, supporting constructive legislation, and working to resolve gang related problems in our community.
Gang Unit Personnel
A Unified Police Department lieutenant serves as the Project Director and is responsible for the daily operations of the Project. The Project’s personnel including sergeants, detectives, and civilian members are responsible for the following:
• Suppression of gang activity
• Follow-up work on gang-related cases
• Collecting intelligence through contacts with gang members
• Assisting local agencies with on-going investigations
• Answering law enforcement inquiries about gang members
• Providing presentations to community groups
• Publishing a weekly, law enforcement only, newsletter
• Coordinating community programs to prevent gang involvement
You can reach the Salt Lake Area Gang Project by telephone at (385) 468-9770.
Our address is:
3365 South 900 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84119
In an emergency please dial 9-1-1. Please report criminal incidents to your local law enforcement agency.